Sleep log for March 11, 2011. Age: 3 months, 2 weeks
|time baby fell asleep||how baby fell asleep||where baby fell asleep||where baby slept||how long?|
|7:46am||bottle fed (10 minutes)||in my arms||crib||1 hr 15 min|
|11:52||in beco (out)||in beco||in beco||30 min|
|2:15pm||on bottle||in my arms||crib||45 min|
According to table on page 48:
1. How many naps should baby be getting? 3
2. How many naps is baby getting now? 3
3. How many hours should baby be napping? 5-6
4. How many hours is baby napping now? 2 1/2
5. Do you have a formal nap routine? No
6. Are your baby's naptimes/lengths consistent every day? For the most part, yes, but he's so young his naps change a lot. It's mostly consistent, though.
PREBEDTIME ROUTINE LOG
|Time||what we did||activity level||noise level||light level|
|5:00pm||watch tv (sesame street)||moderate||moderatel||dim|
1. Do you have a formal, consistent bedtime routine? Yes
2. Is the hour prior to bedtime mostly peaceful, quiet and dimly lit? yes
3. Does your bedtime routine help both you and your baby relax and get sleepy? Yes
4. Any other observations about your current bedtime routine? with daylight savings, we're hoping his current bedtime routine will continue and we can have him going to bed at 7:30 or 8pm instead of 6:30 or 7pm.
NIGHT WAKING LOG
|time||how baby woke me up||how long awake; what we did||time baby fell back to sleep||how baby fell back to sleep||how long of a sleep stretch since fell asleep|
|6:55pm||fussing||5 min (rock/bounce/soother)||6:58pm||soother (released gas)||30 min|
|2:24am||grunting/moving||14 min (bottle fed)||2:38am||bottle||7hrs 30min|
|5:08am||crying||22min (bottle fed)||5:30am||bottle||2hrs 30min|
*He woke up because he had spit up, and didn't go back to sleep. I brought him into bed with me, fed him a bit and we relaxed and were quiet (snuggled, looked at the baby faces app on my ipod) until 6am when he seemed more awake and was chatting. His first nap was at 8am.
Asleep time: 10 1/2 hours
Awake time: 41 minutes
Total number of awakenings: 2 (or 3? I'm not really sure how to count the spit up wake up
Longest sleep span: 7 1/2 hours
Total hours of sleep: 13
Then there are some questions on his sleep, an overall review. I'm not dissatisfied with his sleep, even though he "should" be getting 15 hours a day, I think he's a pretty happy and content baby while awake (though he did wake up grumpy from nap #3, so I'm wondering if he needed a longer nap). He sleeps great at night. I would, however, like to pay attention to our nighttime routine and see if there's something I'm doing differently on the nights he has more than 2 wakeups. I know he's still just a young baby and his sleep patterns will change a lot in the coming months, but I think we've got a good thing going on here.
The next step is "review and choose sleep solutions", which is a chapter dedicated to finding solutions for sleep problems, or making steps toward improving sleep routine and sleep habits. There are two sections, one is for newborns (0-3 months) and one is for older babies (4 months-2 years). I'll be reading both, as Ty is very much in between the two categories. I'll be trying a few of the solutions and seeing how things go. I'll make notes of the solutions and my results, and post about it in a few days!
And, because this seemed fitting for this post:
Nap time with his lovey.