Monday, April 19, 2010

9 Weeks

All About Baby

This week baby is about the size of a green olive. Froggy is almost an inch long and weighs about as much as a penny (2 grams). This week is also the week my baby stops being known as an embryo and is now considered a fetus. Hooray for fetus-hood. Baby's fingers and toes are starting to be visible, and feet and hands are continuing to form. Baby moves around a lot in his/her little home, even though I won't feel it for a month or so.


Baby's head is half this size of his/her body, looking pretty disproportionate right now! Froggy's tail is shrinking, and my little tadpole will look less like a froggy by next week! Even though Froggy's gender was already set in stone just after conception, babies all start out with the same parts. This week, baby is developing boy parts or girl parts, even though they won't be visible on an ultrasound for a while.

Also, Froggy's heartbeat can possibly be picked up on a doppler this week. It's not guaranteed, but it's possible! I bought a doppler yesterday and am hoping to be able to hear the baby's heartbeat with it when it arrives (sometime in the middle of my 10th week).

How Mom is Doing
Symptoms have eased up quite a bit. Nausea and morning sickness are a lot easier to deal with now, and I am finding my appetite is coming back. I still can't really eat much at night, but it's getting better.

Over the weekend I had a bit of brown spotting, and a couple spots of pink spotting. It started on Friday and I called my doctor. She said it's probably nothing to worry about, and as long as it doesn't get worse, I don't have any reason to rush to the ER (which is what I really wanted to do). So hopefully I'll get in for an earlier ultrasound, but for now everything seems to be okay. I need to take it extra easy at work, as well.

I did buy a fetal doppler so I'll be able to hear the baby's heartbeat at home. It will help alleviate some of my fears, especially in the first and early second trimester. I'm looking forward to hearing my little Froggy's heart beating away.

Side Note
I went to the ER last night because I was spotting and nervous about it, and they did blood work to check my hormone levels (hcg- the "pregnancy hormone"). The result came back normal for a 9 week pregnancy (though on the low-ish end of normal). They are sending me for an ultrasound today (in about 2 hours) to check on the baby. I'm currently filling up my bladder and praying that everything is alright in there. I'll make a new post when I get the results later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome