Monday, April 19, 2010

Baby's First Picture



We went through quite a weekend with our baby! Spotting that started on Friday turned me into a scared momma and we rushed to the ER when it got worse on Sunday night. My hormone levels were checked (and all was well), and then I got a requisition form for an ultrasound today.

Fortunately, I didn't follow the "drink 4 glasses of water 2 hours before appointment and don't go to the bathroom" rule. I drank about 6 glasses of water, but went to the bathroom right before leaving. Then once again while waiting in the waiting room. I drank another glass of water and then held it for the duration of my wait. During that time, the fire alarms at the hospital went off, so my wait was extended. It was crazy! I finally got in to the ultrasound, and the tech showed me the screen where my baby was! And she showed me the baby's heartbeat. It's beating at 173bpm.

The baby is 2.6cm from crown to rump (that's about 1.2 inches) and is measuring at 9weeks 3 days, instead of the 9 weeks even that we thought I was. So that's fun to know!

The bad news is that there are two very small areas with subchorionic hemorrhaging. It's not threatening to the baby, but is causing a bit of spotting. They will heal on their own. Most likely they were caused by all the growing and changing in my uterus. So, all in all, everything is good. I have to take it extra easy at work (and at home, obviously). Hopefully the issue is resolved by my next ultrasound (in 3 weeks).

2 comments:

  1. Woohooo! I'm so glad to hear things are alright with baby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Shay! It was a real relief to see the heartbeat, for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome